Recipes for National Soup Month in February
Feb 22, 2018
National Soup Month is at the perfect time—February. You just can’t beat having a warm bowl of soup right now. Besides being comforting, soup has a lot of other great qualities too.
Many soups are:
- Truly can help you feel better when you’re sick
- Help you lose weight
- Affordable to make
- Help you eat those important vegetables!
Author Fiona Kirk, who wrote a book about using soup as a healthy diet, sums it up this way:
“The wealth of ingredients in a bowl of soup provides a good balance of carbohydrates, protein and fats as well as the vitamins and minerals required to create energy and keep us firing on all cylinders.”
Last February, we shared these soup recipes:
- Mushroom Barley
- Chickpea, Vegetable, and Pesto Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
You can find them here:
This time around, we’re going to give you the recipes for a delicious taco soup and a yummy chicken noodle soup that you can make in a slow cooker. We think each of these will provide a warm, comforting meal for the cold nights ahead.
This soup has plenty of protein, so it's filling. While many recipes for taco soup make a huge pot though, this one makes four servings.
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1-1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
4-1/2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
Shredded cheddar cheese
½ medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
Minced fresh cilantro
1) In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink.
2) Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, water, taco seasoning and salad dressing mix.
3) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
4) Spoon into bowls. Top with avocado, cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Chicken Noodle Soup in the slow cooker (aka the crockpot)
One medium onion
Two stalks of celery
Two skinless, boneless chicken breasts
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
48 oz. chicken broth
One bay leaf
2 cups egg noodles
1) Peel and slice carrots, chop the onion, and slice the celery.
2) Trim and cut chicken breasts into one-inch cubes.
3) Add the chicken and vegetables to a small slow cooker. Then add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
4) After 3 hours of cooking on low, add 2 cups of uncooked egg noodles.
5) Continue to cook on low for another hour.
Makes four servings
Enjoy a warm bowl of soup
We’ve given you a couple of soup recipes to try. And you can find an endless amount of soup recipes online if you want to look further. Either way, we hope you’ll enjoy cooking a delicious, comforting bowl of warm soup in your Grand Tapestry kitchen soon.
“To feel safe and warm on a cold wet night, all you really need is soup.” – Laurie Colwin
Contact us to learn more about our Oklahoma City apartments for seniors.